What The Term Click-through Rate Means To Me

I know what the term click-through rate means - percentage of clicks to expressions - but my extremely small marketing budget makes me concerned about another rate - the number of clicks per hour.

My marketing objective is simple, direct regular purchasers of audio books to my full cast audio book's product page, purchasers who also listen to or read F/F Romance and Near Future Science Fiction


The goal of this objective is to raise my audio book's Amazon Seller Ranking into the top 100 for at least one category. Once that's achieved, my objective switches to simply trying to keep the title ranked among the top 100. 


The generally accepted definition of click-through rate does not take the meagerness of my budget into account. I've achieved CLRs as high as 5%, without producing any sales. I know marketing is an iterative process, but I can't afford to experiment at the level of generating hundreds of clicks per hour when they cost twelve cents per click, on average. Hence, Adwords has turned out to be outside of my budget. 


Granted, 3% of the number of clicks I received from a $15 investment turned into sales, but that only happened once. Three attempts to replicate the circumstances of that success failed, costing me an additional $50. 


One of those attempts involved 197 clicks in ten minutes, which cost $10. Sales? Zero. That was my very last experience with Adwords.


Facebook marketing has been a very different experience. I've never generated more than one hundred clicks in one hour through Facebook, hence I've never spent more than $5 in one hour. Admittedly, I haven't been able to replicate that one fluke Adwords experience on Facebook, in which three percent of the visitors to my US product page for The American Fathers purchased the audio book. But I also haven't spent an additional $50 chasing that experience. The rate of clicks I receive per hour on Facebook seems much more affordable.

Comments

Popular Posts