Writing A Better Book Description - Chart

The time has come to write another book description, which has been extremely frustrating in the past. But it occurred to me that I may be able to find a little help. So I googled the terms "best novel descriptions". The first three results were pretty good.

The first link was to a post on +Catherine Ryan Howard's website: 
The 11 Ingredients of a Sizzling Book Description

The post was actually written by Mark Edwards

I should say here that my little contribution to the struggle is this chart: 

Catherine Howard's blog (Mark Edward Guest)  Bryan Hutchinson
The first line is the most important Hook the reader in the first sentence
Write in your genre Make the description personal
Make them laugh, cry, cower Create an emotional connection
Make it clear Detail what the reader will get out of the book
Don't be afraid to reference other books or writers  Detail what the reader will get out of the book
The book is more important than you Detail what the reader will get out of the book
The description should be as long as it needs to be Detail what the reader will get out of the book
Don't be boring Create an emotional connection
Use testimonials  Detail what the reader will get out of the book
Make your characters live Create an emotional connection
Make the reader desperate to know what happens  Create an emotional connection
It illustrates the commonalities I found among two of the three links I mentioned. 

The second link was to a post by +Bryan Hutchinson
5 Tips on How to Write The Best Book Description Ever

You'll notice I include four of Bryan's five tips. The last tip was titled How? It seemed related to non-fiction books like self help. 

The third link was to a post on Gawker by +Hamilton Nolan
The Very Best Descriptions of Self-Published Books.  

It contained book descriptions from thirteen different genres. The descriptions were from books listed on the site Xlibris

So how can I use this advice and these examples? Well, I need to write a description for my next episode - EMPIRE: VICTOR - EPISODE 4. Victor Daco is obviously the point of view character and the story is essentially how he built his empire. But there are so many other things to consider, including the story elements, themes, Victor's character traits, how this episode fits into the overall story arc of the first season of the serial. I should be conscious of the fact that my goal is to convert curious web surfing customers into paying customers. This is actually a quote from Mark Edwards' post:


There are only three things you need to do to become a multi-platinum, world-conquering ebook tycoon with a fleet of yachts and sales figures that would make James Patterson spit with envy:

1. Get people to look at your book page 2. Convert them into a paying customer 3. Keep them coming back for more

Yep, that’s all you have to do!
This brings me to what appears to be the crux of the problem - writing an effective description involves a totally different kind of writing than the kind involved in writing the book. And as anyone who's tried it knows, one of the main challenges in self-publishing is the need to wear a variety of different hats. I know successful indie authors do it but sometimes it feels as if I'm spreading myself a little thin. I will certainly keep at it, and in the meantime I hope this chart helps someone else write that sales boosting book description.

Comments

Popular Posts