My First One Star Rating

I don't really consider myself an experienced indie author. I uploaded my first episode in July of this year. That book only has five reviews, but the first was posted a mere two hours after the book was published. And I was very pleased to see the reviewer's rating and comments reflected exactly the kind of reaction I was striving for with the story. After this morning though, I realize that experience may have lulled me into unrealistic expectations.

After logging onto my computer I checked the product page of my books as per usual. At first I was pleasantly surprised to see that I had finally received a review for SWEPT AWAY. That good feeling lasted only until I noticed this first reader review was also accompanied by a one star rating. 

Apparently, someone wasn't very happy. The reviewer went on to say: 


I was very disappointed in this book.I thought it would be a book for thought on daily happenings. My mistake - I read the first 20% of the book, hoping it would change. Then I did something I hardly ever do-- I skipped to the last chapter. I thought I'd bought a book for lesbians!
Ouch! That stung. I knew I was wading into emotionally (and socially) sensitive waters given the sexual orientation of my characters, but I honestly thought I'd written something that handled the ins and outs of their lives respectfully, without tip toeing around the characters' experiences. I don't treat Sheila and Jasira any differently as a couple than I treat Devin and Irene, Todd and Eve, Victor and Natalia. They're all interesting relationships between interesting people.  

In spite of how I feel about all this, I'm still disappointed that the reader was disappointed. And it so happens, I could reach out and apologize personally to this reader but in spite of the impulse to do so I'm pretty sure I should not. 

Before publishing each book I receive about two dozen critiques from writers in four different writing groups. Early on in this process I embraced the realization that I can't please everyone. There are times when a consensus of writers agree on a particular point in a chapter submission, but often the very line that one or two people hate is the exact line that three or four people love. So I've adopted the practice of choosing a path, carving out a course, selecting a position, a bent, a tone for my characters and my story. While writing my stories I consciously take sides on a plethora of positions, which amounts to choosing to go down one road rather than another, knowing some people will enjoy the ride while others will not. In doing so I accept the reality that some readers will not like my books. I wasn't, though, sufficiently prepared for the fact that it still hurts when they don't.   

I can only hope the book finds its way to readers who will enjoy it as much as many of the writers critiquing the draft copies did. And by the way, thanks for reading this lamentation. I just needed to get this off my chest. If I'm honest with myself, I suppose that's exactly how my disappointed reader felt.    

Comments

Popular Posts