Orphan Black Creators (John Fawcett & Graeme Manson) - The Seventh Art: ...

This was a really interesting interview. I love the television show Orphan Black, which is really the only reason I watched this interview. I was surprised though by the number of analogues I identified in the conversation between things the shows creators said and conversations I've had with writers (of fiction) in critique groups. I guess at some basic level storytelling is storytelling. 

I didn't know Orphan Black was originally conceived as a movie concept. John Fawcett and Graeme Manson's explanation of why the story didn't 'work' as a movie gave me a different perspective on my choice to present a story as a serial through episodes rather than presenting it as a novel through chapters. There is a certain benefit to giving your readers meatier discoveries and more discoveries in each episode than one might in the chapters of a novel. I've been doing that with THE AMERICAN FATHERS, just without explicitly intending to.

Comments

Popular Posts